As women, our bodies are constantly experiencing hormonal changes whether it’s during our menstrual cycle, pregnancy, postpartum, menopause, and so on. Did you realize there is a correlation between our hormones and how our brain functions? These shifts affect how our neurons work, the actions of our neurotransmitters, and the levels of our hormones which can result in fluctuations in mood for some women. In this episode, Kristin and I discuss the connection between our hormones and brain chemicals from a biological perspective, how hormones play a role in the pregnancy and postpartum periods, and considerations to think about when choosing options for treating anxiety and mood disorders.
What You'll Learn
- The biological explanation of the connection between our hormones and brain chemicals
- How hormones are being used to treat mood disorders
- Effect of hormones from in the postpartum period
- Treatment options for hormone connected mental health challenges and PMDD
- The role of hormones in pregnancy
- How hormones affect underlying common mental illness